Monday, September 3, 2012

A Lottery Ticket

I have rules about buying lottery tickets. I never spend more than $1/week and anything I win under $100 gets plowed back into lottery tickets. I don't have to worry too much about that second rule. I've never won more than $20 and that was only once. It was pretty exciting, though.

Most weeks I buy a $1 scratch ticket; sometimes I go for several weeks without buying any. Last week when I bought my ticket and scratched it -  nothing. I consider that a contribution to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

A couple of days ago, I bought a ticket and won $2! Next week, I'll exchange it for a $2 ticket for which I won't have to pay anything. We'll see what it nets me.

I know that I'm unlikely to win more than a few dollars playing the lottery, but I can always hope. And that's what keeps my playing - that possibility that I might actually win big money. Then, of course, I think of all the things I would do with all that money.

I hope I would be altruistic enough to donate a lot of it to my local public library which is planning a major renovation/addition as soon as grant money is available. There are lots of other worthy causes I'd like to support as well.

If I do win big, I'll be sure to post the information on my blog - but don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

  1. It's paying a very small amount for a fantasy that can last a few days. Sometimes I will get a scratchy and drop it in my bag and forget about it - then I find it! (silly I know, but still fun)

    ReplyDelete