Thursday, November 22, 2012

Quality of Life

On this Thanksgiving Day, I am especially thankful for my good health.

I come from a long-lived, healthy family and have always assumed good health. As I get older, I see many colleagues who are not so fortunate. While most of the women in my exercise class are active and independent, many have had knee, hip or shoulder replacements. Others have physical limitations that keep me aware of my possible vulnerability.

Recently, I reconnected with a woman with whom I went to Library School. I had always been a little envious of her: She was very attractive, always looked good in her clothes and had a job I would have liked. Now, although still attractive, she has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. She had to leave her job, has a difficult time walking and has lots of trouble following a thought to its conclusion. Another friend of mine broke her foot and is wheelchair-bound. Although the wheelchair is temporary, an accident like hers could happen to me.

And there are other people I know, some much younger than I, who have a variety of physical ailments.

All of which motivate me to keep active both physically and mentally and to be thankful every day for what I am able to accomplish every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment