Tuesday, December 8, 2015

So and So

So have you noticed how many comments and questions begin with the word "So"?

So is this something new, or have I just not noticed it until recently?

So is "So", like, the new "Like"?

So shall I stop putting quote marks around "So"? So it would be easier to compose this post.

So I understand that a "prologue" (there go those quotes again) of sorts alerts people that one is about to say something, sort of like "Excuse me". So that doesn't explain seeing "So" begin an email or FB post, which I frequently see.

So language evolves and different people develop they're own "oral crutches" as they say in Toastmasters. So while I've never used a lot of "ahs" or "ums", it was during my several years as a member of Toastmasters that I became hyper-aware of how often such fillers are used in conversation.

So I guess "So" as a beginning word has, like, penetrated our culture, you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment