Monday, July 16, 2018

M is for Mess

Hooray! I've finally finished through the letter L in my alphabetic list of possible duplicate bibliographic records in the MassCat catalog.

Last week I began on the letter M. Believe it or not, Macbeth by William Shakespeare, was not that bad. Yes, there are lots of versions of the Scottish play and lots of copies of each, but I found no duplicate records. I must have cleaned that section out while working on something else.

The bad news, however, is that I did a search on the single word "Macmillan" and got nearly 5,000 hits. Since the software only sorts the first 1,000, titles, that means I'll have to use a different strategy to get to the title Macmillan encyclopedia of ... 

And as I perused those first 1,000 titles, I began to wonder what I've been doing these last five years. I found several duplicates beginning with the letters A and B. And lots of incomplete records (though some of them were new). And lots of other stuff that needed fixing.

I can see it's going to take a while to get through this section.

On a related notes, M and I spent the weekend in Lenox seeing Shakepeare plays, including Macbeth. I've seen lots of Shakespeare. There's a company here in Hampshire County that puts on two performances each summer - a comedy and a tragedy - and does a great job with both. M and I saw Twelfth Night on the 4th of July. We're planning to see Othello later this week. But this was my first performance of Macbeth.

Shakespeare & Co. always does an amazing job. The staging is often unique (like the comedy - I forget which one - set in 1950s New Jersey complete with women with big hair and boobs and men with lots of gold chains) and always very professional. It's such a pleasure to watch their productions and Macbeth was no exception.

There was one minor disappointment, though. I kept waiting for the witches; they were not there. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment