Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Harry Truman Deserves Better

Harry S. Truman was U.S. President when I was born. I have no recollection of his being president, but I have read a lot about him. I've been interested in Presidential history since junior high school when I completed a major research project on assassinations and attempted assassinations of our commanders in chief.

Truman was mentioned in Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson; Truman was president during most of Johnson's years in the Senate. Truman was covered in the book Bland Ambition by Steve Tally about Vice-Presidents and had an entire chapter in Accidental Presidents by Jared Cohen. 

I also read Hidden White House by Robert Klara. When the Trumans moved into the White House, the place was literally falling down. It was HST who was instrumental in its restoration.

When I saw the title Saving Freedom: Truman, the Cold War, and the fight for western civilization by Joe Scarborough I borrowed it from my local public library. After the first couple of chapters, I was tempted to return the book without finishing it. I found it hard to read.

The research seems solid enough and most of the information is in the public domain, available to anyone willing to search. My major complaint is with the writing style. Joe Scarborough may be a published author, but he needs a good high school course in coherent writing. He's an amateur.

Scarborough uses too many pronouns. It was difficult to follow who was doing what to whom after a series of "he ..."

His sentences are sometime very long and when I re-read them, they weren't always complete sentences as a word had been left out.

Phrasing was sometimes awkward and occasionally a sentence contained a different preposition from one I would have used, as if a non-native English speaker had written it. I also found some misspellings that should have been caught by spell checker.

What annoyed me the most is that neither Scarborough nor his editor understand the difference between a possessive noun and a plural noun. MANY, MANY times I saw Truman's meaning the entire family and Trumans meaning something Harry owned. 

If you can overlook the errors in grammar, misspelling and poor writing, this is actually an interesting book about Harry Truman (both the man and the President) and the change in the United States' (note the apostrophe at the end because the noun is both plural and possessive) attitude toward the rest of the world. 

Despite Woodrow Wilson's plea for the U.S. to join the League of Nations after the first World War, the country chose to remain isolationist. After the second World War, that was no longer possible and the U.S. joined the United Nations and helped organize NATO.

Even though Henry Ford said "History is bunk" I think History is important and downright fascinating.



No comments:

Post a Comment