Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cooking

Anyone who knows me knows I love to cook. I love the entire process: selecting a recipe, arranging the ingredients, slicing, dicing, stirring and especially eating. My main complaint about all of this hot and humid weather is that I don't want to turn on my stove and I especially don't want to turn on the oven and make the house even hotter.

While I haven't been doing much cooking, I have been making Gazpacho - the perfect antidote to New England pretending to be New Orleans. (When I was in Mexico, the weather was hotter, but drier.)

While this Gazpacho recipe calls for 1/4 cup of oil, I use less than half that amount. And I never bother to peel or seed tomatoes. As soon as I publish this post I'm going to make some Gazpacho. There is just enough time for it to chill before lunch.


GAZPACHO

3 lb. (6 c.) tomatoes, peeled, seeded & cut up
1 onion, cut in chunks
1/2 c. green pepper chunks
1/2 c. cucumber chunks
2 c. tomato juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar

Combine tomato, onion, green pepper & cucumber in blender or food processor & puree until smooth; transfer to bowl or tureen. Stir in tomato juice, garlic, cumin, and s & p. Cover and chill. Before serving, stir in oil & vinegar. Serve with garnishes.
Garnishes:
1 c. peeled, seeded & finely chopped tomato
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. finely choped green pepper
1/2 c. finely chopped cucumber
garlic croutons

No comments:

Post a Comment