Friday, August 13, 2010

Still Searching

This week I applied for another job and received two rejection notices. Actually, one of the rejections had been in my spam box for a couple of weeks (I get so little spam with gmail I sometimes forget to check it) so maybe the score is actually 1-1.

Neither the job for which I applied nor the most recent rejection are in libraries. I've been checking the MBLC job search site regularly, and there are some interesting positions available. As usual, many of them are not within commuting distance and a very high priority for me right now is a short commute. For the last 5 years, my daily drive has been a minimum of an hour and 20 minutes each way. When I carpooled, (which was most days for the last 2 years) the time was longer.

For the 4 1/2 years before that, the commute was usually an hour and the traffic was terrible. Connecticut drivers on I-91 are fast and aggressive. When I was assigned to a project in a library, I often had a shorter and easier drive (Brattleboro VT, So. Hadley MA), but occasionally it was much longer (Rutland VT, Londonderry NH, Boston MA). Those longer trips generally involved staying overnight.

My dream is to have a job within 1/2 hour of my home, although I like an occasional longer drive. I feel differently about driving long distances to different places (a fun adventure) and driving a long distance to the same place day after day (I'd rather not).

While I've worked in libraries for many years, I sometimes think about a career change. I'm at that stage now. I love libraries and believe in them, but I also want to experience more of the non-library world. The skills I've been using are transferable to many other areas. My job now is to find out where those skills are most needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment