Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Play Clothes

When I was a kid, my siblings and I had three distinct wardrobes: church clothes, school clothes and play clothes. When we came home from school or church, we were instructed immediately to change into our play clothes. Those were the stained and/or torn clothes that might also be a little too small. Playing in our good clothes soon turned them into play clothes.

I still have play clothes. They are still the stained and/or torn clothes that are sometimes a little too small. However, they are perfect for gardening, house cleaning, and generally hanging around the house. I have lots of play clothes because after a while things just wear out or I spill something. Wearning my play clothes means my other casual clothes stay stain-free and tear-free longer. When they get really bad, I cut them up into rags and use them for dusting, cleaning and polishing. I have a very large basket of rags.

When I was working, I'd come home at the end of the day and change into my play clothes before cooking dinner or even just relaxing. Many evenings I had a meeting, so when I came home I skipped the play clothes and just went to bed. Since I didn't wear them a lot (a few evenings a week; one day, maybe two on weekends) they didn't wear out very fast.

Now I spend most of my time in my play clothes and I'm getting sick of them. And they're still not wearing out very fast. What's going on here? How come a nice new pair of sweatpants gets a tear or gets stained after a short period of time, but once it become play clothes, it seems to last forever? I was hoping that all these ratty sweat shirts and sweat pants and turtle neck jerseys would all disintegrate and I could buy lots of new ones.

Right now I'm actually wearing a turtle neck that is about 25 years old. It has a few holes in it, but it's still quite warm and the holes are easily covered with a sweatshirt. How can I cut it up into rags when it's still useful? The curse of the native New Englander.

If my current life style continues, I'll have ample opportunity to wear out my play clothes. But probably by that time, my newer casual clothes will be old enough and stained enough to be play clothes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment