Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A New Project

Actually, there are two new projects both starting this week.


Yesterday, I began cataloging the collection for the Early Childhood Resource Center at Springfield City Library. It's mostly games, puzzles, toys and puppets and a surprizing (at least to me) number of them have bibliographic records in the OCLC database. In many other cases, I found similar records so that I could create what I needed fairly easily. Once these records are loaded into Springfield's catalog (an overnight process), I'll need to add holdings information and link the bib. record to a digital image of the item.


I agreed to working on this ECRC project every Monday, except for state holidays. I think that schedule will keep me from becoming overbooked. Once the semester ends at Simmons-west (early May), I can put more time into cataloging games, puzzles, toys and puppets. Funds have to be expended by June 30 (the end of the fiscal year).


The other project begins tomorrow at Donohue Group, Inc. Several of us will be working on retrospective conversion of Boston Public Library's older materials. We'll be working from catalog cards that have been shipped to the DGI office in Windsor CT. I agreed to 2 days a week back before I learned about the ECRC project.


I've been going to bed pretty early every evening and getting lots of bedtime reading done. I may be staying up later at night reading about Organization of Information and grading papers. I'm already looking forward to spring break! I won't be going to Ft. Lauderdale or anything like that. I'll just be enjoying a short respite, probably my last till early May.

No comments:

Post a Comment