Monday, February 21, 2011

Too Much Money

I don't have too much money and probably never will, but last week I earned too much money to file an unemployment claim. I guess that's good, although it wasn't quite as much as I would have earned in a week at CMRLS. However, it's nice to know that my services are in such demand and this situation will likely continue through June 30 which is when the money runs out for my 2 latest projects.

In the meantime, I'm actually struggling to keep up with the work. I have some Continuing Education workshops to teach in March in addition to all of the other stuff. Also during March, I'll be filling in for the cataloger at Springfield City Library who will be taking some vacation time. Fortunately, spring break is in March so I'll have a little breather from teaching (and the most time consuming activity, preparing to teach) LIS415 at Simmons-west.

The victim of all this activity is my once-clean house which is showing signs of neglect. Dust anyone? I'm able to squeeze in the most essential tasks, the most visible ones, the ones that drive me so nuts I can't concentrate on anything else until I take care of them.

Overall, I'm very happy. I love the activity, going to different places every day, having to adapt to a different working environment and different colleagues every day, stimulating my brain and learning so much more about what I've been doing for years. It's vital that I stay organized, keep my appointment book up-to-date, and refer to it (and the weeks ahead) regularly.

It's even more important that I take a little time every day (generally first thing in the morning) to do some Yoga or other exercise. I noticed this morning that my mind was especially active and kept thinking about all of the things I needed to attend to today and tomorrow. I find posting to this blog helps some of that frantic energy dissipate and I'm better able to concentrate on what I'm doing and think less about all of the other things that need to be done, too.

When I began this blog back in July 2010, I seriously thought I might be headed for a career change. If that happens, it won't be anytime soon. My cataloging skills are needed and for right now, that's fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment