Tuesday, March 8, 2011

8 Days a Week

My work life lately feels like the title to a Beatles' song. I suppose I should be grateful - and I am. It's nice to know that my skills are valued and that people want me working on their various projects. And that I'm earning enough money to pay the bills.

Yesterday I traveled to Middleborough (nearly to Cape Cod) to teach a Continuing Ed. workshop on MARC records for the Mass. Library System (MLS). Fifteen women attended and there was a real range of experience. Some were brand new, but most had been doing their jobs for a while and wanted to make sure they were doing the right things. Many had learned "on the job" and wanted the "official" take on what they do. Others had Masters' degrees in Library Science and wanted a review. There was lots of good discussion and the attendees seemed very pleased. I know I was.

Later that evening I spent a few hours grading papers for LIS415. I'm so glad this is spring break and I don't have to teach on Saturday. I need the breather.

Today, I'm off to Springfield City Library to catalog more games, puzzles and toys for the Early Childhood Resource Collection (ECRC). I'll be working on the item records and attaching the descriptions I created to digital images.

Then I'll spend the rest of the week at the DGI offices in Windsor, CT converting cataloging information for the Boston Public Library from cards to electronic records.

As far as I know, I'll be busy like this till June 30 when the grant money expires for the ECRC and BPL projects. We'll see what happens after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment