Sunday, April 3, 2011

Juxtaposition

When I was an undergraduate at UMass/Amherst, I wanted to take the class "History of Film", but it was always overenrolled. Who wouldn't want to sit around watching movies all the time? I did, however, manage to slip into a lecture where I learned about "Juxtsposition" which has become one of my favorite words. Last night, I saw the movie Even the Rain. It's about a independent film company making a film about Christopher Columbus and the Spanish exploitation of the native people in the new world. The Spanish insist that all individuals pay them a certain amount of gold on a regular basis or suffer serious consequences. The filming takes place in Cochabamba, Bolivia where a multinational corporation owns all rights to the water, even the rain. The story of native defiance to the invading Spaniards coincides with the real life protests of indigenous Bolivians to the severe taxation of their use of water. Even the Rain is a gripping story at both levels. I have seen this technique in other movies. In The French Lieutenant's Woman, the actor's personal lives parallell those of the characters. In Carmen, the cast of an opera company experience the same intrigue as the people they portray. Neither, however, equals Even the Rain which also includes a look at the recent political situation and current living conditions in parts of Bolivia. Juxtaposed with this social commentary is the book I'm now reading: One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell (author of Sex and the City). This is the story of a group of wealthy people who all live in the same elite building in NYC. The old money, society people have strict, if unspoken, rules of proper behavior and are dismayed by the antics of the much wealthier, new money people who have recently moved into the building. To read about these self-indulgent individuals after watching the poverty in Bolivia is almost more than I can process. And juxtaposed with the situations above is my life which is so different from both. I don't have a 3-story penthouse appartment with live-in help and a Bentley at my beck and call, but I do have plenty of water - hot if I want it. While I don't make as much money as I used to, I do make much more than $2/day and live in a pretty nice house. I guess I should feel angry and outraged about the inequity, but I feel more confused. How and why do such things happen? I am so totally grateful for what I have and feel quite helpless to have a positive impact on those who have so much less. I know that there are very wealthy people who are using their money to make improvements to the world. Juxtaposed to them, unfortunately, are those who make millions and feel they still don't have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment