Sunday, June 19, 2011

Conflicts

I've been re-hired to teach LIS415 in the fall. I just signed the contract and it will be in tomorrow's mail. I'm psyched. I'm looking forward to implementing revisions and trying some new things (nothing too radical).

However, I also realize I've just committed every Saturday afternoon from September 10 through December 10 to Simmons College and Organization of Information and there are other things I also would like to do but teaching takes priority right now.

I read recently about a Leadership Institute offered by the Women's Fund of Western Mass. I went to the website and was just about ready to apply for 2011-2012 when I saw that the group meets Saturdays from 9:30 to 4:30. Too bad. It looks like a great opportunity and I'm at a point in my life where I think I could really benefit from participating in an institute like this.

Toward the end of September, Provincetown, Mass. hosts the annual Tennessee Williams Festival. I stumbled upon it a few years ago and loved the variety of plays, movies, and other events all focusing on Tennessee Williams. My partner and I returned two years ago and were treated once again to many creative events held throughout the town. I received an email not long ago encouraging me to buy tickets. The dates: September 22-25. We could attend the first 2 days, but I'd need to be back in western Mass. on the 24th.

And then there're the Friends of UMass/Amherst Library and I'm the President. The board only meets twice a year: a Saturday in the spring and a Sunday in the fall. I regretfully missed the spring meeting because I didn't want to skip teaching a class during my first semester. I was looking forward to the Sunday meeting in the fall - only to find out it's been switched to a Saturday to take advantage of some other campus events happening on Saturday. I haven't yet decided what to do. I could find a substitute instructor or I could record my lecture via Camtasia or similar software or I could miss the Friends board meeting once again.

What I really need is a TiVo for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment