Monday, July 4, 2011

Librarian Chic

"For people my age, being a Librarian is the thing to do. It's very chic." So said a twenty-something library staff member at a retirement party I attended recently.

I didn't know that, but it explains why so many people are enrolled in the Simmons GSLIS programs - both east (Boston) and west (Mt. Holyoke College). Until I actually worked in a library (at UMass/Amherst) I didn't know there was such a thing as a Masters degree in Library Science. I wonder how the profession became so hip. I guess all the PR over the years has finally begun to have an effect.

Given the current state of financial support for libraries, one might consider getting a Library degree to be a little risky. But I firmly believe that attending Library School helps develop some valuable skills that will come in handy in the future regardless of where you work. And there are a lot of library-related occupations out there where people can earn a living without working in a traditional library setting.

Right now, I'm doing okay as a contract cataloger working for libraries that have projects but don't want to hire staff. Even though I don't get benefits like health insurance and vacation time, I have flexible hours and I really enjoy the variety of going to different places and using different software. If nothing else, it keeps my brain nimble and I get to meet lots of interesting people.

So I'm glad being a Librarian is now the "in" thing to do. If only we made more money, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment