Sunday, June 30, 2013

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Tomorrow is July 1 - the new fiscal year.

On June 30, three years ago, I was laid off from my job at CMRLS. It was sad and scary, but I tried to look at the situation not as an end, but as a beginning. I've been a librarian my entire adult life. My first full time job was as a library assistant. I was 20 years old.

While I've made some attempts at career changes (traveling sales representative for a publishing company; fitness instructor; administrative assistant for a small consulting firm), all three times I ended up back in the library field. Since I had (and still have) a few productive years left, I figured the layoff would be a good opportunity to finally make that leap.

Fast forward to today. The career change has not happened; I'm still a librarian, and a happy one at that. While it would be nice to have the security of one full-time job with benefits, I can't complain. I have several jobs that I like. My hours are flexible; I can often work at home, although I usually work on site; there's lots of variety even though the jobs are strongly related; I'm learning a lot and meeting some really interesting people.

I am looking forward to looking back on this post on June 30, 2014 to see what has or has not changed. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment