Thursday, September 19, 2013

The new school year

I have a great class this semester. It is the largest one I've ever had, but that's not what's great about it.

The students are bright, vocal, observant, and ask thoughtful questions. I would call them "engaged" except that is becoming an overused and trite word and I try to avoid such words.

Another factor making this a great semester is that I'm feeling much more confident and comfortable with the material. Even though I've used the information I'm teaching for many years, I just went about my work; I didn't think about it in this way until I began teaching LIS415.

Now as I listen to the radio, read a book, and - yes - even catalog, I'm constantly encountering different examples that are "just perfect" to include in an upcoming class.

Teaching a graduate level course was a whole new experience for me. The road was occasionally bumpy, but it's smooth for now and (to use another trite phrase) I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment