Monday, May 11, 2015

At the Movies

Last month, M. and I spent a few days in NYC at the Tribeca Film Festival. Ever since he and I went to the Palm Springs Film Festival at the recommendation of some friends, he's become a Film Festival Fan.

We saw 3 films and one really stood out. I've been recommending it to anyone who likes movies. Being an indy film, I don't know if it will ever show up in theaters, but if it does, please take some time to see Virgin Mountain.

Watching this film, I felt sad, happy, annoyed, excited, anxious and every emotion in between - just like life. As I was watching, I thought I knew what was about to happen. Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. Without giving anything away (I hope), I ultimately felt satisfied.

I'm fortunate to live near Amherst and the Amherst Cinema which often shows small and unusual films that you'd never see at the mall. I hope they show Virgin Mountain as I would very much like to see it again.

Another favorite of mine which I've seen twice (both times at the Amherst Cinema) is Caesar Must Die. It takes place in a maximum security prison in Rome  where the prisoners are going to give a presentation of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. It is not a documentary, but is filmed in the prison and most of the actors are prisoners. The story begins with casting the characters and is mostly about the rehearsals which take place in various parts of the prison because the theater is being renovated. This is an amazing movie and well worth an evening out. Dinner at Pasta e Basta down the street completes the Italian theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment