Friday, May 1, 2015

Rituals

It's May 1st. May Day. Regardless of April showers, I'm very much looking forward to May flowers. I planted some pansies in a pot in the front yard yesterday. I realize it's a little early to plant flowers, but pansies like cool weather (hence planting them in the front yard which is the north side of the house). And the pansies were a free gift from the food co-op to members in celebration of their anniversary on April 30.

I'm probably the least sentimental person you will ever meet, but I have seasonal rituals - like planting flowers once the warmer weather arrives. My other warm weather ritual is painting my toenails. It hasn't been quite warm enough to wear sandals, so that one will have to wait a few weeks.

My other rituals tend to be semi-annual. Since I wear hats, I change from warm to cold weather and back again. The off-season hats are stored in lovely hat boxes in my closet. The on-season hats are hung on hooks in the front hall. The warm weather hats have been on the hooks for a few weeks, though there were a few days in April when I thought about digging out a woolen beret to wear.

And then there is the changing of the linens on the bed from flannel to cotton. The flannel sheets are staying on for a while. That's the REAL sign of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment