Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Redundant

I received yet another invitation that ended with the phrase "Please RSVP ..."

Redundant.

RSVP = Répondez s'il vous plaît

S'il vous plaît = Please (or more literally, If it pleases you).

Therefore, Please RSVP = Please reply please.

Redundant.Or, according to Wikipedia (that source of all knowledge), it is a Pleonasm. This is a Greek word for TMI.

Pleonasms, or redundancies, appear everyday. A common one is when the cashier in the store asks you to enter your PIN number. Since PIN = Personal Identification Number, PIN number = Personal Identification Number number.

Even Librarians and other book loving people are guilty. I often hear ISBN number. Just in case you don't know, ISBN = International Standard Bibliographic Number. ISBN number is another pleonasm.

Pleonasm is a new word for me. I wonder how many times I can incorporate "pleonasm" into my conversation today.

No comments:

Post a Comment