Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sun, Snow and Murder

My leisure reading took me to Colorado. The plot began with a blizzard. As I read Diane Mott Davidson's Crunch Time, I thought to myself "I hate being cold. I hate having to drive in snow (which caterer Goldy Schultz had to do in the very first chapter). Maybe I should stick to mysteries in warmer climates."

The next book in the pile happened to be Dilly of a Death by Susan Wittig Albert. At least character China Bayles lives in the Texas hill country where there is very little chance of blizzard. Drought, maybe, but not snow.

As luck would have it, the next book was Through the Evil Days by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Oh no! Another blizzard and the main characters (Police Chief Russ Van Alstyne and his new wife the Reverend Clare Ferguson) were trapped in a remote cabin in upstate New York. It amazes me how these people can survive cold for long periods of time, sometimes without jackets or gloves.

Fortunately, I'm now on one of J.A. Jance's books. This one is Paradise Lost, part of the Joanna Brady series. Joanna is Sheriff of Cochise County Arizona. Here, everyone is trying to keep cool as the temperature soars to over 100 degrees during the day.

Right now in Massachusetts, the sun is shining. While the morning temperature is chilly, the weather report forcasts highs in the mid 50s. I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment