Friday, January 4, 2019

The End of an Era

I'm bummed! I found out about this situation a few months ago, but I've been in denial and too depressed to blog about it.

The Dewey Decimal Classification schedules will no longer be printed on paper. The last books were published in 2011. Since new editions have been published every 6-10 years, I fully expected a new edition soon. It won't happen. The Dewey Decimal Classification will be available online only via WebDewey.

I know this makes a lot of sense. It costs a lot of money to publish a physical book. The unabridged, 4-volume set cost nearly $500. The abridged, one-volume version was over $100. And before they hit the market, they were out-of-date.

Since the schedules are updated regularly, it makes sense to access the information digitally, but for some reason, I've always preferred to hold those books in my hand.

In contrast, when the Library of Congress subject headings were made available online, I rejoiced and wondered why anyone would bother to buy those "big red books". Even better, once they were online, the Name Authority File was included. And all FOR FREE!
 
WebDewey requires a subscription fee. And I do not find it very easy to use. Perhaps it's because I'm used to the books and I need to practice more with WebDewey. Regardless, I still have my DDCs and will keep them for a LONG, LONG time.

No comments:

Post a Comment