Friday, September 24, 2010

A Disappointment

Two weeks ago I interviewed for a job in which I was really interested. Today I learned I didn't get hired. The position went to an in-house candidate. I feel better about that than I would if someone outside of the organization got "my" job; an insider always has a head start.

For one job many years ago, I was the in-house person who was hired. It was my first professional library position and it started me on a great career. I 'm glad someone else has now had that opportunity, although I still wish they had hired me.

My job search actually started back in October of 2009 when I learned that CMRLS would undergo a major change as of July 1, 2010. We knew than that many people among the 6 Regional Library Systems would not be continuing with what we began to call the "new entity". In November, I had my first interview for a pretty interesting library position in Connecticut. I didn't get it, but I figured I still had lots of time.

It was the end of May that I was told I was not chosen to be one of the Advisors for MLS. By that time I had applied for another interesting library job nearby, for which I was not interviewed. Today's disappointment was not the first.

I've been checking the MBLC job listings and reading the Help Wanted Ads in the local paper. There are several open positions for Reference/Instructional librarian, and the Instruction part sounds good, but I'm a cataloger and don't know if I could (or want to) make the transition to Reference Librarian.

Anyway, NO ANTs. While I may be disappointed in the outcome of this job search, it could very well mean that there is something bigger and better waiting for me.

I am grateful that
1. I still have money in my savings account to last me for a while
2. My partner is making a lot of money right now and can support us for a while
3. I can collect unemployment benefits
4. I have some part-time work for a few additional dollars
5. I'm an intelligent, energetic, and resourseful person and will soon fine gainful employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment