Thursday, September 16, 2010

Public v. Private Sector

I was offered a job today. It sounds like an interesting job and it's for a great company, but doesn't pay very well - at least for my needs right now. So I turned it down.

If a private company has an opening, the person in charge can call someone he/she knows will do a good job and ask "Would you like this job?" During my career, I've been hired that way twice. These were not jobs that were advertised, but I was found via word-of-mouth. There was sort of a job interview beforehand, although it was really more of a conversation to see if we were both interested in each other.

In many ways, hiring in the private sector is much easier than the public sector - which is where I've worked for most of my life. There are other differences between the two. There is an energy level in a private company that just doesn't exist in a state or municipally funded organization. Perhaps it's that awareness of the bottom line and the fact that if a private company doesn't earn more than it spends, it ceases to exist.

However, there is a level of stress involved and those billable hours mean your job is pretty much on the line all the time.

As I search for a job, I'm wondering if I would prefer to work for a private or public organization. Ultimately, I may not have a choice. I may have to accept whatever is offered. But until then, I'm pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment