Sunday, September 26, 2010

Big Plans, Fewer Results, No Regrets

When I first learned that I was not hired by the "new entity" MLS and realized I would have the summer off, I began to make plans with what to do with all my free time. Thoroughly clean the house was one. Keep up-to-date with what's happening in the cataloging world. Create this blog and post every day. Go through all of the material that had been given to me by a career counselor and pursue a new career. Exercise every day.
Well, of course, I haven't quite met all of those goals, but I've done okay by my estimation which is the one that counts.

The house is getting cleaned - and thoroughly - although at a slower pace than I had originally thought. Slowly enough that the rooms I first scoured within an inch of their lives are now ready for a re-do and I still have a couple of rooms to go. I live in a very large house with lots of nooks and crannies as well as lots of windows and sliding glass doors. It is not easy to clean.

I subscribed to AUTOCAT and OLAC-L and read most of the emails, but not in detail and save very few. I had signed up for a free trial of the RDA site, but never looked at it before it expired on August 31. My cataloging feels rusty, but I have been able to practice a little through my substitute librarian job at Springfield City Library.

I've posted to this blog once or twice every week or so and always when I have some burning issue that needs to be expressed. I think of things to post more often, but what's in my head doesn't always make it to my fingertips. I was also going to investigate more sophisticated ways of using blogs. Maybe I'll do that soon.

The career search materials are sitting on my coffee table within easy reach. I'm feeling more inclined towards picking them up and seriously beginning a job search. That will happen soon.

The one goal that I've fulfilled is to exercise (almost) every day. For many years I've used a series of Yoga audio tapes. One set I bought about 25 years ago. I used them sporadically for the first 15 years (I was teaching aerobics at the Greenfield YMCA most of that time) and more regularly for the last 12. About 12 years ago, I purchased the tapes that accompany Jon Kabat-Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living and have alternated among all of these while also going to Curves 2-3 days/week for the last 3 1/2 years.

I discontinued my Curves membership in June figuring I could spend that money on other things. I also borrowed some DVDs on Pilates and Yoga from my local public libraries (I use 2 that are the same distance from my house) for variety. One, Katrina Fitness presents Ease Into Pilates, I purchased.

So now when I wake up each morning, depending on my energy level and the amount of time I have, I can do one of two easy 45-minute (no tree postures) Yoga routines; one of two harder 45-minute (tree and other balancing postures) routines; one 20-minute Yoga routine; one 30-minute Pilates routine (a little more rugged than the harder Yoga); or an aerobic walk to the end of my road (1 mile) and back (1 mile, inclined up). I generally take Sunday off unless I missed a day during the week.

The best thing about exercising at home is that I don't have to make myself presentable to the outside world, not even when I walk.

What a great way to start every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment