Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

I've been feeling out of sorts all day today and I think I've figured out why. I'm angry.

Last week, I taught a copy cataloging workshop for MLS in West Stockbridge. Yesterday, I received an email from one of the attendees asking for some cataloging advice. If I were an MLS employee, I'd make an appointment to visit her, offer suggestions to her problem, and find out what other questions she might have. Instead, I spent a little time composing an email that explained the situation (it had to do with AACR2's choice of Main Entry), offered some suggestions, and included examples and links to information that might be helpful.

I'm angry for her and for myself because the Planning Committee in charge of reorganizing the Regional Library Systems decided MLS didn't need a full-time Technical Services Consultant on staff. Now this woman, a new librarian, is floundering around trying to figure out what to do. And I have no job, no steady income other than unemployment checks, and minimal health insurance. I'm also in a stage of my life that makes me difficult to employ: an older worker who was formerly well-paid. There are not a lot of options for me in Library Land.

There is a someone at MLS who is by default the TS Advisor and she readily admits this is not her area of expertise. Most of her time is spent on her primary responsibility and she doesn't have a lot of time to devote to general cataloging issues. I could have forwarded the librarian's question to her at MLS, but how easy or difficult would it have been for her to respond with a helpful answer? I knew exactly what to tell the new librarian. I can be a mentor even if I'm not employed.

When I learned that the 6 Regional Library Systems were to be merged into one, I supported that move. It seemed like a much better use of funds - diminishing or otherwise - instead of the duplication Regional Administrators, Assistant Regional Administrators, Business Managers, etc. I think centralizing makes a lot of sense. However, MLS, and the Regions before it, exists to help libraries. There should be enough Advisors available with the appropriate skills to help the library staff who need it. They shouldn't have to depend on the kindness of strangers.

2 comments:

  1. It is naive to think that getting more efficiencies in the system and reorganiziations are all good. They lay off people. Catalogers need to be employed. And you saw the results of their mistakes. How blind of them!

    ReplyDelete