Monday, April 27, 2020

I Want to Live in Three Pines

Three Pines is a fictional town in Québec province just north of the Vermont border. It's not on any map, but is featured in Louise Penny's mystery series starring Armand Gamache and an interesting array of characters.

I'm now reading The Long Way Home, the tenth book in this series. M. Gamache has just retired from the Sûreté du Québec. He and his wife Reine-Marie have moved from Montréal to Three Pines.

There is a town green surrounded by quaint businesses: a bookstore, a bistro, a bakery, and a market. There is also a funky B&B as well as a more upscale spa a little way off, but still basically in town. Small houses and cottages are also around the green, each has its own back yard. People meander around the green, kids play games on the green, others sit on benches to the side of the green.

I'd love to stay at the B&B, have breakfast there among the antiques. Then I'd take a walk. I'd probably go beyond the green. It would be nice to go just far enough to see the whole town all at once and get an overall feeling.

By then, it would be lunchtime. I'd go to the bistro for that. If the weather was chilly, there'd be fires in the two fireplaces and I'd sit near one of them. If it was summertime, I'd be out on the terrace so that I could enjoy the fresh air.

Everyone in Three Pines knows everyone else. It's not unusual to have several people gather in someone's home for dinner. Perhaps they'd invite me. Afterwards, we could all go to the bistro for a nightcap. There would be stimulating conversation, lots of witty repartee, and many laughs.

Given the last 6 weeks of social distancing, I'm longing to spend time face-to-face with people. I'm already planning some parties and deciding the best combinations of friends who would enjoy each other's company. I've even started planning the dinner menu. It's been cooler than usual lately, and it's difficult to work outside. I'd prefer to have a tidy yard before inviting people to share time there.

In the meantime, I've been sending long emails or writing letters to some friends, calling others I haven't seen in a long time, and generally keeping in touch as much as I can.

And I'm already looking forward to the next installment of life in Three Pines.




No comments:

Post a Comment