Friday, July 30, 2010

Enjoying Life

I wish I could say I haven't posted recently because I've been so incredibly busy. In fact, I've been incredibly lazy. I could get used to this lifestyle. I have been reading a lot. I finished Sue Grafton's latest book U is for Undertow.

The Hatfield Public Library has done lots of much needed weeding in the last year. For some reason, Fanny Flagg's first book, Coming Attractions, was missed and I'm glad. It's old and in rough shape but I checked it out anyway. I love all the books I've read by Fanny Flagg. Remember Fried Green Tomatoes? The term that comes to mind most often is "feel good" and this one was no exception. It's funny, witty, thought-provoking and the characters are worthy of Janet Evanovich and Carl Hiaason and yet totally believable and unique.

Simultaneously I'm still reading Change Your Brain, Change Your Body. I just finished the chapter on stress which I found valuable although learned nothing new. Dr. Amen does include laughter as a stress reducer. Reading Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaason and Fanny Flagg helps with that.

Now I'm reading the chapter on memory and the fact that, like muscles in your body, your brain deteriorates if you don't stimulate it. A lazy brain increases your chances of memory loss and also dementia as you age. I had intended to use this free time to improve my computer skills which would enhance my resume. Now I have more reason to do so.

Last week, I attended a Toastmasters meeting. I used to be a member of the Northampton club, Speakeasy, but after several productive years I reached the point where I knew I was going to have to put a lot more work into my speaches in order to improve. And at that time, I just didn't feel like it. Rather than attend meetings and languish, I chose to terminate my membership. I've thought about going back and this is a good time. In addition to getting me out of the house and socializing, attending Toastmasters meetings is a good opportunity to network and improve my public speaking skills. Good public speaking is an asset in so many ways: giving reports at a meeting, speaking at Town Meeting, giving a presentation at a conference, etc. And even if you don't do any of those things, just being able to get up in front of a group of people and speak knowledgeably on a subject is a great way to develop self-confidence. Having good public speaking skills helps to project a polished and professional demeanor - definitely an asset in job hunting.

And it 's great exercise for the brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment