Friday, July 23, 2010

Money and Other Stuff

I met with my financial advisor yesterday. We looked at my various retirement funds and what I have for Social Security. We discussed moving some funds around given my stage in life and, while hoping for the best, considered the worst possible scenario - if I can't find a job.

I like my financial advisor and I consider her a friend. We sometimes socialize. I met her through a professional organization to which we once both belonged (I think she still does) and our social/business circles overlap. We had a nice lunch and chatted about other things that we have in common.

However, after I left her office, I felt kind of depressed. Not because of anything that happened with her, but rather over the fact that during the last few years I've developed a nice system of long-term and short-term saving and now it's gone because I don't have a job. When I received my paycheck every two weeks (or actually the statement since the money was deposited directly), I would transfer a certain amount to my savings account and make a payment toward a particular loan. I loved looking at one account grow and the other diminish. Sure, both figures changed slowly, but I loved the process. I always had big plans for the growing account, but something would happen: new hot water heater, new brakes for the car, etc. And I would begin again.

But I don't have to believe any negative thoughts that pass through my mind. I know I'll find a job and do so in the not-too-distant future. And in that spirit, here are the 5 things I'm grateful for today:
1. I'm grateful for the rain watering my garden.
2. I'm grateful I have savings to tide me over for a while.
3. I'm grateful I have wonderful siblings that I can turn to for emotional support if needed.
4. I'm grateful for my friends - we're going to have supper with 2 of them tonight.
5. I'm grateful for my computer and Internet connection so that I can continue my job search.

Hey! I actually feel better.

Today, I spent the morning revising my resume and creating a cover letter for a job I saw advertised in the local paper. It's not a library job, but it's with a company that I respect and my library skills are very appropriate. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment