Sunday, July 25, 2010

An On-Call Cataloger?

While perusing the Library Jobs on the site of the Mass. Board of Library Commissioners, I saw a listing for a part-time on-call Cataloger at the Springfield City Library. I've never heard of an on-call cataloger. Usually, if the cataloger goes on vacation there are back-up staff to handle rush items and everything else just waits.

I applied since that's what I'm supposed to be doing - looking for work. Other than the automatic response that they received my online application, I haven't heard a peep.

Several years ago while I was working for Donohue Group, Inc., I was sent to Washington D.C. to the InterAmerican Development Bank to be the cataloger for 1 week. The regular cataloger was out on sick leave and IADB didn't want the work to pile up. It was SO MUCH FUN! I flew down to D.C. on a Sunday afternoon, checked into a hotel on DuPont Circle and every morning took the metro to IADB. Then I flew back home on Friday evening. I felt so cosmopolitan!

Their collection is mostly on topics like sustainable development, agriculture, low-income housing, etc. Much of it is in Spanish, but they have a lot of English as well as some French and German. They also use the Dewey Decimal System, which surprised me. I would have thought they would use the Library of Congress Classification System, but then I realized that Dewey is more of an international system than LC. The people were wonderful and very helpful since every library has its own way of doing things. I actually had to get thumb-printed and use my thumb to get into the building as well as the picture ID they made for me.

Yesterday, I received my first check from the Mass. Division of Unemployment Assistance. I thought it was going to take much longer for the checks to start coming. I just signed up for direct deposit, so all future paychecks will be going directly into my bank account.

I've been pretty good about morning Yoga. Now I need to add some aerobic exercise and more strength training for a good balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment