Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Making Lots of Progress

Finally! I think I'm adapting to this new (albeit temporary) life. Monday was a bust, but on Tuesday I finally installed the racks that hold hanging files into my desk and filled those 2 drawers with all of my workshop materials. I have a cataloging tutorial scheduled for next week and I've just signed a contract with the Connecticut State Library to teach some cataloging workshops beginning in October. At the very least, I have bits and pieces of work.

I also gathered a bag of lovely clothes that no longer fit me (and never will) and took them to a consignment shop in Northampton. There are several items that are probably going to follow them, but I'm doing the closet cleaning in bits and pieces. I feel very good about the progress so far.

Today, I cleaned out and reordered my personal files. I tossed a lot of old stuff. Usually I put paid bills, receipts, etc. in a file and sort through it a few times during the year before I pay my income taxes. I'll have to sort at least one more time before tax time, but today I did a pretty thorough cleaning and the next sorting will go much faster.

I'm also practicing keeping positive thoughts. I have a tendancy toward depression. It used to get worse during the winter months, but regular exercise and a vitamin D supplement have helped. Still, life's disappointments can get me down and I've had a few since I learned that CMRLS would be closing.

I started another book yesterday - one of those titles that I borrowed via C/W MARS a while ago and forgot all about. This one is Change your Brain, Change your Body by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

Two things have stood out so far. The first is that you don't have to believe every negative thought that comes into your brain. If I happen to think I just can't get organized, can't stop eating sweets, I won't be able to find a job and I hold on to that line of thinking, I've just given myself permission to do or not do all of those things. As soon as a negative thought appears, I can give myself a little pep talk and realize I have choices and control over my life.

The other memorable comment from Dr. Amen is to be grateful for 5 things every day and write them down.

1. I'm grateful I have a lovely home;
2. I'm grateful for the verdant view out of the windows;
3. I'm grateful that I'm healthy;
4. I'm grateful for my loving partner;
5. I'm grateful for the energy to continue my job search.

No comments:

Post a Comment