Monday, December 12, 2011

Some (Maybe) New Adventures

The semester has ended and over the weekend I compiled grades and submitted them to the Simmons GSLIS administration. My students did very well and I'm proud of them. They are going to make great librarians and archivists. And even if they choose not to continue in this field, they've made contacts and learned all kinds of practical skills and information that will be useful in whatever they decide to do.

Things have been very slow in libraries lately - at least my getting part-time jobs and short-term projects. So I've finally branched out and applied to a local temp agency for part-time office work. I don't know if this will result in anything. And even if it does, it won't pay what I get for library work, but I want to expand my horizons, develop new skills and generally keep my brain occupied.

I had applied for a full-time (even though I'd prefer not to work full-time) para professional job in a library nearby. Not surprisingly, I wasn't even interviewed; I'm so over-qualified for that job. But it would have involved tasks somewhat different than I'm used to and I figured "Why not?"


There are two volunteer opportunites that I've begun to pursue. One is totally non-library. More on them if they become a reality. I'm fortunate that money is not a major issue at the moment and I can "expand my horizons, develop new skills and generally keep my brain occupied" without necessarily worrying that these pursuits don't pay.

I've just started the sequal to Liz Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. It's called Committed and comes at a significant time in my life. I am a newly married person who resisted that state of affairs for a very long time. My "boyfriend" and I lived together for 20 years before finally deciding to make it legal. Every year on the anniversary of our moving in together, we'd go out to dinner, make a toast, and commit to one more year. Last June on our 20th anniversary, we got married then went out to dinner, made a toast, and committed to one more year.

So far it's working.






No comments:

Post a Comment