Thursday, December 29, 2011

Terse

Some people are talkers. They have a story, an opinion, a comment on just about everything. I'm not one of them. I tend to be quiet and sometimes have to make an effort to participate in a conversation that involves several people. Even then, I generally don't elaborate unless asked.

I've noticed that people who are natural talkers are also expressive in other ways - like writing. Their letters, memos, emails, etc. tend to be longer than mine.

My communications, whether oral or written, are usually succinct. Some would say terse.

One of my goals with this blog was to practice more extensive writing. Not that I think a succinct (or terse) style is necessarily bad. It's just that sometimes a situation calls for more information or expression or elaboration and I want to have as many skills available to me as possible.

When I first began this post I thought it would be longer. Maybe I need more practice or maybe being succinct is what's needed in this case.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're out there posting away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (chuckle)
    I tend not to read blog posts that are very long. I don't have the time.

    ReplyDelete